SJPIICHS has an active and engaged college counseling program, designed to help parents and students maximize the formation they are receiving here at the school. Our goal is to help students identify, apply, and enter a post-secondary program that will help them become all that God has planned for them.
• Our school's college code is: 445-061
School Profile Page
(included with all transcripts and other requests for school information)
• Dr. Sherry Garrett is our college counselor.
Email contact information.
•••• FOR THE CLASS OF 2016 ••••
The following forms are provided, along with all of the packets provided by the College Counselor, in order to help manage the application process
1. COLLEGE APPLICATION CHECKLIST PAGE. This form is designed for use in managing all the paperwork needed for one college application. We suggest that families print this page on color paper (we have copies in blue outside Dr. Garrett's office) and place it in a folder that will be dedicated to the paperwork for applying to that college. The list is designed to be inclusive of all the requirements of most all colleges (from the on-line application, to transcripts and test scores, to letters of recommendation and interviews).
2. TRANSCRIPT REQUEST FORM. This form starts the process of mailing transcripts to college admissions offices and scholarship committees. The form can include multiple requests, or can be used for just one.
3. LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FORM. This is the form to use when requesting a letter of recommendation from a teacher. Students should hand deliver this form to the teacher. Once the letter is complete and mailed, the teacher will return this form to Dr. Garrett to place in the student's file. She will copy the form and give the form back to the student for his/her records.
4. SUMMER PACKET - COLLEGE APPLICATION PREPARATION. This packet was distributed to all future seniors in May, in order to help with the final summer of preparation.
•••• UNDERCLASSMEN ••••
Web and Presentation Resources
Visit collegeboard.com to utilize their many resources, including their best tools:
• My College Quickstart This site allows students to use the data from their PSAT scores to evaluate their strengths and weaknesses, and to develope a plan for improving on the PSAT. The site has many many strong tools for college evaluation and comparison. Every JPII student must have a college quickstart log-in!
• Big Future This new site, lauched in Summer 2012, is a site dedicated to helping students identify colleges, complete the application process, and find funding sources. Again, it is an all-encompassing site, with many, many tools.
We have run many different parent information sessions; below are the slides from a few of them.
• PSAT Information Session
• Starting the College Process
Throughout the school year, college admissions counselors will be visiting the school during the class day to give presentation to juniors and seniors. Often, those counselors stay for lunch in order to present information to underclassmen. Again, at the quarterly parent meetings, we will be inviting college presenters to attend and present to parents, and they will be available to answer questions.